Friday, December 21, 2007

Cash prizes?

muddy, frozen earth...
memory of orion
when his belt alights us

"I Like to Think about That Night"

I first wrote haiku type #2 in the strict traditional Japanese 17 syllable way, but as I've been looking at more and more American haiku, I've begun to want to imitate their not so anal syllable count. Here I tried a more relaxed version, not obsessively counting the beats. I just might switch, but I haven't decided yet. This is only off by one syllable anyway, so who knows what I'll decide.

Also in haiku news, I subscribed to a daily haiku poem a day, and I stumbled across a haiku contest that I might enter. A British haiku website is hosting it, with entry fees and cash prizes! I don't have to enter any until May, though, so I might try to find one that ends a little sooner.

The other haikus are coming, don't worry.

No comments: