Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Patterns a plenty.

One of the joys of working at the ice cream parlor is that sometimes people are awesome.  Like today - some guy who works at a barbecue place down the street brought me free barbecue sandwich and macaroni and cheese.  And tonight this girl who was wearing a knit slouchy beanie from Urban Outfitters GAVE IT TO ME just because I said I loved it.  Want pictures?  Oh I'll give you pictures.




(And here it is on the Urban Outfitters site:)



My first thought when observing said hat?  "I could TOTALLY knit that."  And I think I can!  And I think I'm going to decipher it right here and right now so that maybe you too could knit this hat one day.

Note:  I've never written a knitting pattern or actually deciphered one from an already knitted object, so this will be rough and this will probably be full of errors.  But I plan on actually trying to make it, so if there are many errors I'll hopefully catch them.

Cast on 64 stitches.  Work in k 1 p 1 ribbing for 3 rows, then work in k 2 p 2 ribbing until piece measures 5 inches.  Start decreasing by every k2tog every 8 stitches, until there are 12 stitches left on the needle.  Cut thread then pull thread through stitches and tighten.  

Maybe?  Yes?  I'm not sure what size needles to use... the yarn looks worsted.  I'm thinking size 9 or 10?  I'm going to try it out and see for myself!

No comments: