Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Obsession

Watching Ace of Cakes on the Food Network is one of my many joys. It makes me wish that I was an indie-hip pastry chef that went to art school and could make lifelike armadillo cakes and shoot clay pigeons out of the sky with skill. Anyway. One of my favorites on the show, Anna (I know!), is awesome. Along with her amazing decorating abilities, she's also obsessed with Scrabble. Mary Alice, another fave, explained, "She had to become obsessed with something for a class and she chose Scrabble. I don't know, it was art school."

So this sparked a little idea in my own head. "EMILY," I yelled. "Do you want to become obsessed with something with me??" Her true friendship which has already been made official 50 times over received another badge of honor when she said without hesitation, "Yes!!"

She chose Clark Gable - I chose haiku. Our homework assignments over break are thus:

Emily:

- Watch a different Clark Gable movie every 3 days - blog a review
- Once a week write a blog on Clark Gable the person - who was he, what was he about, etc?


Anna:

- Write 3 haiku a day on blog -
Haiku #1 - About day
Haiku #2 - "Cryptic Away Message Haiku"
Haiku #3 - Specific moment in day
- Once every two weeks blog on history of Haiku - famous writers, where it originated, etc.

So here I go.

#1

face smashed against pane
recycled air stifling lungs -
home seems far away

"Don't Think You Can Catch up on Sleep on a Plane"

#2

i waited all day
so i could play in our game -
i shall dominate

"Scrabble is for Winners"

#3

viva wasn't there
my heart collapsed within me -
laughing, it arrived

"Sometimes I Have a Bad Memory"

Annnnd I'm a nerd, but this came to me on the plane. It's not a haiku.

if earth were a patchwork
it would hang on the wall of a navaho
whose face is carved in mountains

1 comment:

Emily said...

I love Love LOVE (read in ascending loudness) that you put the title at the end.

And I love the Earth metaphor. : )