Sunday, July 15, 2007

Why I Always Ask for a Cup

Sugar cones are the devil. Seriously, I hate them.

Why, you ask, do I have this unnatural defiance related towards such a harmless and arguably delectable treat?

Oh, I'll tell you.

Ok, so it starts out with the Ice Cream parlor. Most of my stories nowadays seem to. So I've never really enjoyed the sugar cone, anyway. It was always thrust upon me when my family would take Sunday afternoon excursions to Baskin Robins, but I never really enjoyed them - but I didn't really hate them either. It was just a sort of unquestioned acceptance - this is what you eat ice cream out of. Ha!

Let me list its vices:

- The narrowness
It is extremely difficult to pile ice cream on top of a sugar cone without it all falling off. I don't know if people realize this, but every other cone offered is easier to eat from and put ice cream on. Come on people, use your sense.

- Its amazing ability to crumble under pressure
I can't count the times that I've handed a sugar cone piled high with some nonsense only to have it be crushed in the hands of an eager customer. First of all, cones are made from thin wafer - gripping it as tightly as you can might not be the smartest idea you could have. And second, the cones are too small to be holding all that ice cream and succombing to your handgrip of death. Get it in a bowl.

- People calling it "the regular cone" even though it's NOT and the name is right in front of them it costs them extra anyway:
I get angry just thinking about this one. When all you say is, "I want chocolate chip ice cream," and then look at me reproachfully like, "Well, what are you waiting for?" ... I get annoyed. And then when I ask wearily, "Cup or cone?" and when all you says is, "Cone,"... guys. There are 4 different types of cones, they are all right in front of you and then when you don't even look at them and just say "the regular one" and get MAD that I gave you a different cone than you were thinking of... Where does it say regular cone?! Nowhere! We don't sell one! You only have 4 options, none of which anywhere says regular!!

Seriously, who knew ice cream could conjure up these feelings of hatred?

No comments: